Wednesday, July 30, 2014

10km Run Melbourne 2014

I thought I better write a post about the 10km Run Melbourne I completed last Sunday 27th July 2014, I find it useful in the lead up to an event to reflect back on these entries and remind myself of the struggles and triumphs that running brings. Also I'm sure my 1 and only reader is desperate to hear the account of the event. Hi Monica.

I had a good lead up to the run. I'd attended the Tuesday night training sessions for the last 10 weeks provided by Run Melbourne. I am still very much a beginner runner, but definitely had some improvement over the 10 weeks. Better endurance, better cardio fitness and most importantly a better mindset.

Race day was great. Woke up feeling great and pumped my body full of water, berocca, banana and peanut butter toast. There was a buzz in the air as I walked from my car park in the city down to Federation Square where the half marathon was already taking place. I watched lots of runners speed past me, all looking in great form - I wondered if I looked that good when I ran? Unlikely. After meeting up with Running Lemming and dropping our bags off, we headed down towards the start line.

It was a gorgeous sunny day but cool at around 12 degrees. Perfect running weather. We were both amped up and had been looking forward to this moment for so long. As we approached the start line we high fived and set off.

The usual start line weaving around walkers (why?!) began and continued for around 2km. I didn't feel too bad at the start but I didn't feel confident pushing too hard at this point as I still had a long way ahead of me, and in honesty, I hadn't actually run 10kms all at once since the Melb Marathon last year.

This race wasn't about speed. It wasn't about breaking personal bests. It wasn't about beating my friends time. For me, this race was about getting out there and moving. If I felt I had to stop and walk for a bit, that would be fine. All I wanted was to run (for the most part) and finish.

I was super proud that I did in fact run the entire way, and finished in a time of 1 hour, 10 minutes and 28 seconds. Absolutely not a personal best, but I was very glad to complete it this fast - I had imagined it would be longer. Especially as I had a very sore glute muscle which I felt every step of the 10kms!!

Looking forward to continuing training and entering the next event! Maybe an obstacle race... maybe time to step up to a half marathon?!

3 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Great to hear you are back into the running and the big run went well. It sounds like you have a terrific mind-set and know what you are doing it for and enjoying it too.

    Go go go Running Cat! I look forward to reading many more updates in the future.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running Cat … you have a friend!

    http://therunningcat.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha.. yes, I've seen that blog before! Stay tuned for Melb Marathon 2014.

    ReplyDelete